- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- dark chocolate cookies, optional
- hot fudge sauce, homemade or store bought
- slivered almonds
- waffle cups, homemade or store bought
- bourbon pomegranate cherries, recipe on my blog
1. On the stove top in a medium saucepan, combine the milk and cream. Split the vanilla beans in half and remove the seeds. Add the seeds and pods to the milk and cream mixture.
2. Add a splash of vanilla extract and turn the heat on to medium. Heat the milk and cream mixture until simmering, about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally and turn the heat down if cream begins to stick to the bottom.
3. Add the sugar, a pinch of salt and xanthan gum to a bowl and whisk together.
4. Next, separate your eggs and add them to the sugar mixture.
5. After the cream mixture is simmering, turn off the heat and let it steep for 7 minutes. Remove the pods from the cream and discard.
6. Turn the heat back on to low and heat for 1 minute. Temper your cream — by very slowly adding a few tablespoons of hot cream to the eggs and whisking to warm. Repeat this process twice more.
7. Add all the egg mixture into the cream mixture and stir. Continue to cook until the ice cream base is thickened, about 4 more minutes. You should be able to draw a line on the back of your spoon or spatula.
8. Turn off the heat and pour the ice cream base through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
9. Place the plastic wrap on the service of the ice cream base and put in the refrigerator to chill for at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
10. Remove the plastic wrap and give the ice cream base a quick stir.
11. Pour the mixture into your ice cream processor and begin to churn, about 20-30 minutes depending upon the unit you have.
12. If you want to add cookies, wait until the ice cream is soft serve.
13. Or if you are a purest and want to keep it Triple Vanilla, leave it alone. Remove the ice cream from the processor and place it into ice cream containers. Store in the freezer to setup at least 2 hours, if you want scoopable balls.
14. Create your sundaes by scooping the ice cream into your waffles bowls or regular bowls.
15. Add the hot fudge, nuts and of course the cherries!