1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey, plus a bit extra to finish
1 tablespoon five-spice powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon red food coloring
2 racks spare ribs (8 to 10 pounds), individually sliced into single ribs
1. Mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, five-spice powder, garlic, ginger and food coloring in a metal, non-reactive bowl.
2. Pour the marinade into a large zip-top bag, reserving 1/2 cup on the side for basting later.
3. Add the ribs to the bag and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 3 hours, though longer is better and overnight is ideal.
4. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to 275 degrees F for direct and indirect grilling.
5. Remove the ribs from the marinade (discard the marinade) and place onto a wire rack.
6. Place the rack directly on the cooler side of the grill.
7. Cook until the meat is very tender, basting with the reserved marinade 3 times during the cooking process, 2 to 3 hours.
8. Drizzle the ribs with honey, move them to the direct heat side and quickly char each rib to caramelize.