- 500 g – fruitcake mix
- 1 cup – Sugar
- 2 extra large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup – water
- 250 g – Butter or margarine
- 1 tsp – bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp – smooth Apricot jam
- 2 cups – flour
- 2 tbsp – mixed spice
- 1 tsp – baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
HOW TO MAKE
- Preheat the oven to 140 C and prepare a 22 cm cake tin.
- Bring the fruitcake mix, sugar, water and butter or margarine to the boil.
- Simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda (it will froth) and apricot jam.
- Leave to cool and add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 1.5 hours or until a testing skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Wrap in foil and store in an air tight container.