- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package Old El Paso™ Taco Boats™ soft flour tortillas
- 1 cup (from 16-oz can) Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (4 oz) Shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa, if desired
In deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F.
Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Add drained tomatoes, chiles, chili powder and cumin. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened and liquid has reduced. Remove from heat.
Using fork, poke holes several times in bottom of each boat. Place boats in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 to 2 minutes, using tongs to turn boats halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain boats upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans over bottom of each fried boat. Add heaping 1/3 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese to each boat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa.